Over 43 million Americans have some form of hearing loss, according to most hearing health experts. Unaddressed hearing loss can increase the risk of cognitive decline, dementia, falls, cardiovascular disease, social isolation, depression and anxiety, but less than 20 percent of the adults who could benefit from a hearing aid currently wear one. Most people would go to an audiologist’s office as their first step to address their hearing loss, but Eargo has made that process obsolete.
Eargo’s Sound Match is proprietary technology created to assess unique hearing loss and enable personalization to hearing aids according to each individual’s hearing needs.
So how does it work?
The entire Sound Match process takes only 8-10 minutes to complete, in-ear. You’ll hear sounds presented through the left and right devices at different loudness and pitch levels. If you hear the sound tap “Yes” and if you do not hear it, you can tap “replay” to try again, and if you still cannot hear it, you can tap “No.”
Before starting Sound Match, please make sure your hearing devices and charger have at least a 25% charge, (i.e. at least one solid white Hearing Device Indicator Light and one pulsing).
Sound Match uses your results to personalize Eargo so that your individual listening needs are met for each ear. After it is completed, you’ll be able to view your results in graphic format.
To update your devices with Sound Match personalization, please put them inside the Charger to complete the process. If you decide not to apply the Sound Match results, they will be discarded and your Eargo devices will remain with the programs that are already inside. For devices without previously applied Sound Match results, these will be Preset Programs 1, 2, 3, & 4.
Preset Programs 1, 2, 3, and 4 are Eargo’s factory default choices.
- Amplification, especially for speech, increases as you go from Preset Program 1 to Preset Program 4. You can apply Sound Tuning on these programs for further changes to volume, treble and bass. You may also select one of these presets as a favorite for each ear, and then add environmental programs (e.g. Restaurant and Phone). These environmental programs will use your selected Favorite Preset as their baseline. For the best and most personalized listening experience, we recommend completing Sound Match, because it’s like tailoring an already well-fitting suit.
After Sound Match has been done, your hearing devices will have a “Normal” program.
- The Normal program is used as your everyday baseline. When you choose to add any other listening environments you would like to include inside your devices, such as “Restaurant” or “Phone,” they’ll be created using information from the Normal Program. This allows your listening experience to be optimized and personalized for each ear, no matter which environmental programs you choose to use.
What folks are saying
“The most interesting new feature is “Sound Match.” Hearing aids have long had different profiles, and will usually be tuned for your own needs by an audiologist, but Eargo’s direct-to-consumer (and the need for the buds to be in the case) approach has made this much-needed personalization difficult. Until now!
Sound Match is effectively a hearing test built-in to the Eargo app. Once you pair the case (via Bluetooth) you can remove the Eargo 5 hearing aids and the app will walk you through the test. If you’ve ever completed a hearing test, you’ll be familiar with this one. The app plays a series of sounds and you tell it if you can hear it or not; at the end, you’ll be presented with the results for each ear.“
– James Trew, Engadget
“The new Sound Match feature was like having an audiologist present. You just had to listen and follow through. They are exciting to use. [Their] design is amazing with better quality as a hearing device.“
– John P.
The Sound Match breakdown
- Sound Match appears first during the Onboarding flow after a customer has connected their charger to the app for the very first time.
- Takes ~10 minutes to complete
- Sound Match customizes each device with a Normal Program and up to 3 Environmental offset programs to accommodate the User’s hearing loss
- User can re-take Sound Match at any time
(e.g. hearing seems like it changed) from the Menu or Edit Programs flow in the Mobile app
- Completed Sound Match results are stored in the Mobile app; up to 3 previous sessions can be retrieved and applied to the app, if desired. All sessions are listed in the Web portal for application by the PHP
The Sound Match Experience (a.k.a here’s how it looks)
The Sound Match onboarding flow
The Sound Match feature flow
The Sound Match results view